3. Sign-up for a AWS account (aws.amazon.com), i've chosen the basic plan which is free. Follow all instructions to activate the AWS account, which involves a phone call in order to input an activation code;
4. After AWS account is ready, go to Services -> Identity and Access Management (IAM) -> Users -> Create New Users -> Create User Name e.g. "sap_cal_user". The user name here does not really matter, can be any name. What really matters is the user credentials in the next step;
5. Download the "User security credentials". Keep this file in a safe place;
6. Under IAM, go to Groups -> Create New Group e.g. "sap_cal_group" and assign policy "AdministratorAccess" to the group;
7. Still under IAM -> Groups, assign the the user "sap_cal_user" to the group "sap_cal_group";
That's all needed to prepare the cloud service provider account;
8. The CAL will deploy two instances (or virtual machines):
- SAP Frontend (type m3.medium)
- Linux (type r3.2xlarge)
The instance type (r3.2xlarge) for the Linux instance, by default, is not included in the Basic AWS account and must be requested before deploying the SAP trial; For that, go to console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/ , select on the top right the region where the VM's will be deployed - US East (N. Virginia) - click on "Limits" in the left menu and search for "r3.2xlarge". In case the limit is zero (as the sample below), it's necessary to request limit increase.
9. Deploy SAP trial / developer edition using CAL: go to www.sap.com/abaptrial - it will redirect to a blog post. Go to the "Get Your Free Virtual Appliance" section and select the desired version e.g. "SAP NetWeaver 7.50 SP1 AS ABAP and SAP BW on SAP HANA [Developer Edition]".
10. Log-in into CAL and follow the steps to create the instance;
Cloud Provider: Amazon Web Services
Access Key: Provided in user security credentials of "sap_cal_user" (step 5);
Secret Key: Provided in user security credentials of "sap_cal_user" (step 5);
11. Enter Instance Details:
Name: e.g. HANADEV1
Region: must be "us-east-1"
Click on "Create" button
12. Download the .pem file with the certificate;
13. Wait the instance to be created (around 60 minutes);